Sunday, February 22, 2015

Snowy Deer Tracks

The snow storm ended last night.  It was a relatively warm morning and the sun was out so I decided to go for a walk.  Not easy to do in 10" of wet snow.
 I started out down the Ranger tracks until I found this crowd of deer tracks in the barn field.  I had put some corn out here yesterday.
 Some of them looked pretty large.
 And showed some foot-dragging typical of bucks.  So, I just started following them.
It went into the woods and off the side of the hill.
 There were several high traffic intersections.
 And then I found the bedroom.
 Three deer beds each at the base of a tree.
 On a south facing slope (for warmth I assume).
 Poop of the week - doe pellet pile.
 And also a buck bomb.
 I thought this big old tree was pretty neat.
Eventually emerged in the pond field.  Lots of traffic out here.
 This little bit of corn was the cause of some of it.
 I went to check the camera and the strap just broke - so did the bracket on the camera.  I kind of tied it back up there.
 Tracks directly across the pond ice.  They appear to be canine.  I hope that I don't find a "floater" someday.
 Back up to the turnip field.
 Quite a bit of activity rooting around for bulbs.
 Not sure if you can see all the traffic on this end of the field.
 I took a pretty good look for shed antlers.  They could easily be hiding beneath the snow.
 So I followed the tracks back into the orchard.
Where they did find this little bit of corn.  Dave saw this camera going off while he was loading his truck last night.  I didn't pull the cards - will wait till next time.
I'm surprised that at each corn site, they didn't finish it.  There really wasn't really much there. Anyway, that's it for my walk in the snow today.  Going down to zero again tonight - they can use a little corn for energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment