Monday, May 18, 2015

Out and Back on Sunday

 Joan and I made a last minute decision to run out and back to the farm on Sunday.  Look who joined us and helped clear the trails of critters.
 We had storms most of the weekend (and one short one while we were touring on Sunday) but it cleared up nicely.
 Dave brought his new 44 and we did a little target shooting.
His spotters were calling the shots for him.
 I helped the boys do a little plinking from the shade.  We were shooting a 17 and a 22.
 They both had a pretty good eye and were shooting water bottles at about 50 yards.
 A rather large frog.
 We did the camera tour.
We were chased in by a short storm.
But we got them all checked out.
 Earlier I got some mowing done.  This time of year is brutal - it grows so fast.
 The fields that I planted 10 days ago are just starting to come up.
 Hopefully some of these emerging plants won't be weeds.
 I only planted two of the fields - I have three more to go.
 This is broom sedge which is taking over the old fescue pasture (along with the cedars).  I'm going to try clearing some of it to plant native grasses in the Fall.
 The two chicory/clover fields are doing well - some strips of weeds.
 I mowed some of the clover fields for weeds control.
 This is Mike who helps Van out with the mowing around the barn.
 Turkey season ended this weekend.  Apparently they've still been strutting.

This little young doe looks quite skinny.
 This one looks quite pregnant.  Probably another month to carry the fawns.
The coyotes are a threat during fawning.
They also like turkey polts - or mature turkeys if they can catch them.
The ridge trail seems to be a part of their routine.
 The bucks are just starting to grow this season's antlers.


Hard to see but there's 4 deer out there.





Coyote in daylight on the ridge trail.



Replenishing the mineral licks.

 May 3 - the last time that I hunted.

I've had all the machines out and working.  The atvs are now 14 years old (I think).

No comments:

Post a Comment