Sunday, August 23, 2015

Plots, Pumpkins and Weed 101

 The pumpkin patch is in distress this year.  Over-run with weeds.  Never sprayed for fungus.  Looking kind of sad.
 But there are a few pumpkins between the weeds and the moldy pumpkin leaves.
 Green is good at this point.  Orange is too early.  Usually means the vine is dying.

 But, we'll take whatever we get.
 Those are the mini-pumpkins.
 A few other gourds and squash.

Vines in various states of distress.


 A few big ones.

 This purple small flowered weed is everywhere.
It's in clover plots and on the edges of the main field.  I'm not sure what it is.
 I think that those brown seeds are pigweed.
 But I also think these green ones are pigweed too.  Anyway, it's a lot of seeds.
 Thistle is a pest in some of my plots.
 I think this is butterfly weeds but I've also called it Indian Paintbrush.
 I'm not sure what this one is.
 Goldenrod - duh.
 Not sure.
 I believe that this is honeysuckle - the vine.  The bush is supposed to be an invasive but the vine is native.
 I thought this was Joe Pye weed but I sometimes get it confused with...
 ...milkweed.  Not really similar other than the purple flowers.
 It's easy to tell the milkweed once they get these pods.
 This is galinsoga - one of my warm season annual problems.
 Lambsquarter - another one.
 Ragweed.
 Ok, the new orchard food plot.  Weeds don't look too bad yet.  I planted three different strips.
This is an oats blend with brassica and winter peas (Pure Attraction).
 I think this one was Ambush.  Oats and something.
 And this is turnips (Tall Tine Tubers).
Main field mix is about 5' tall.
 Seed heads on the sorghum.
 Clover chicory in main field.
 Driveway stand.
 The deer have absolutely mowed down the soybeans.  I did some brassica over-seeding.  Hopefully it will fill in.
 Clover chicory by the pond stand.
 Apples.
The new Cabelas opened about 2 miles from home.
 I took a quick spin thru and got out without buying anything.
 John bush-hogging last week.
 On the camera tour.

Beautiful weather this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment