Sunday, February 26, 2012

Another Post of Random Stuff

I stayed home this weekend.  Eric and Jeni are visiting for a few days and I'm going to head to Lexington.  Here's a few random links that I've been enjoying.  This might be my next hobby (not!).

Flying

More Flying - China

The video below is an archery moose hunter.  A moose is a 1000 pound animal that can kill you with a kick of the hoof.  This type of encounter is not recommended.




I have a fraternity brother who went to Montana after we graduated.  I lost touch with him for about 30 years and then found out that he was a flyfishing guide and a novelist.  A couple of years ago I got his first three novels and really enjoyed reading them.  They are sort of autobiographical and I recognize some of the characters. I found his books to be hilarious and very entertaining (but I knew him and can imagine some of these experiences). Here's a link to his first three books about flyfishing and life.

Amazon Link to his books

Shortly after getting and reading those books, I found out that he had advanced prostate cancer and the prognosis was not good.  Just recently I found that he has a new book out about his battle with cancer.  I just ordered the book and haven't read it yet but I'm relieved to see that he has survived.

Me, My Cells and I

When I first caught back up with Dave, he and his wife were operating a B&B (in addition to writing and guiding).  I was worried because the link to the B&B disappeared for awhile.  I just recently checked and it exists again although the pictures of Dave and his wife are no longer there - I wonder if he sold it... The bio in the new book says that he now lives in Missoula.  Here's the place.

The Lodgepole Inn

I'm sure that everyone has been holding their breath waiting to see what I did with the elk ivories from the bull that I shot in Utah.  For those who are not familiar, elk have an evolutionary remnant of the mastodon.  They have small ivory tusks in their mouth about the size of a tooth.  Some hunters get this ivory made into jewelry and I had a jeweller in Jackson Hole WY make some earrings for Joan.  Here's what they look like.





No comments:

Post a Comment