Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Thorofare Elk Hunt - Flash Update

We are just out of the mountains.  There are hundreds of photos plus a ton of video.  It will take some time to collate and compose a detailed day by day blog.  And I have 8 days of life to catch up on that I missed while in the mountains. So this is the teaser for the later blog posts.

Summary points:

1.) Amazingly beautiful country

2.) Trails are scarier than shit.

3.) Awesome guides, camp staff, food, and hunters in camp.

4.) Grizzly bear sightings.

5.) We had an unbelievable 3 hour "bugle-fest" in the timber.

6.) Knife edge 12" wide trail on rock with the grand canyon on either side.

7.) Eric made an amazing single shot kill on a moving bull at 260 yards in a narrow window.

8.) Grizzly bear charges inside 20 yards.

9.) Amazing little bear-fighting dogs defended us while 4 of us drew pistols.

10.) I never got a shot opportunity on a bull.

11.) We saw elk every day. 

12.) there were bears in our camp most nights.

13.) Shiela (the cook) and her dogs ran them off.

14.) I heard more bugles on this hunt than on my previous 6 elk hunts combined

15.) Physically demanding and exhausting days - before sunset to after sundown.

16.) An experience of a lifetime.

17.) Not for everyone - it was everything that I could handle.























I expect to write four (or so) additional posts on this trip.  As I finish them, I will add the links here:





Late addition - Group photos on day of ride out.






2 comments: