Saturday, March 14, 2015

Why Do We Eat What We Eat?

I do a fair amount of travelling.  I've been placed in social situations where I was presented things to eat that I would never consider eating.  I've had blowfish sashimi, seaweed, live prawn, chicken with the feet still on, eel, warthog, whole small fish (eyes, scales, guts and all), and I don't remember what else.  I've seen other cultures serving various bugs, brains, rats, etc.  I've seen dog butchered and hung for sale on a sidewalk.  I've seen live scorpion under glass for selection to be cooked as a meal.  Different cultures have different taboos but the people closest to nature typically waste almost nothing.  Is that wrong for some reason? Think of the Eskimos utilizing a whale or a seal.  Or the Masai drinking cattle blood.

Anyway, I stumbled across this article about a food truck in Amsterdam that specializes in utilizing what would otherwise be waste.  I thought it was interesting.  Amsterdam Food Truck

I guess that boneless skinless antibiotic-free organic free ranging chicken breast in a vacuum sealed bag is somehow superior to these other products of nature. Right?

I'm not saying that I like all that stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment