Friday, May 8, 2015

Quick Stop for Planting

I was at a steel conference in Cleveland from Mon - Wed and I decided to stop by the farm on the way home.  I arrived Wed evening and left Thu afternoon.

 So as I'm in the kitchen opening up the cabin, this guy walks by outside the window.  I think that I saw a little jake beard.
 I'm planting two plots of summer annuals.  I disked and dragged the fields.
 During the disking I had to avoid obstacles like this turtle.  I relocated him.
 I haven't tried any of these annual mixes in a few years.  I've had a problem with warm season annual weeds (lambsquarter, galinsoga, pigweed, etc).  I went to roundup ready soybeans to try to get those fields back in control.  But I'm trying these two mixes in the main field (where the turnips were). Sunflowers, sorghum, soybeans, peas etc.  You have to wait for warm soil to plant them which gives the annual weeds a chance to start too.  We'll see how it goes in this field.
 I went with the roundup ready soybeans in this little field.
I hunted for an hour at sunrise without much success.  Heard a couple gobbles.
 No time to deal with these tent caterpillars. They will strip the leaves off that crabapple tree.
 Checked one camera that I missed previously.  This buck is starting on antlers and his coat is changing.
I'll start putting the minerals out more frequently for the next few months.  I still have three plots to plant - not sure when that will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment