Sunday, September 20, 2015

Harvest Time

I came out Sunday afternoon to try and catch up after almost a month away.  It is very dry - no rain in a month.  The main thing that I got done was to pick thru the weeds and see what survived in the pumpkin patch.
Yes, this is the pumpkin patch.  I had rows in there somewhere among those weeds.
 Many of the vines were dead but some were still trying to bloom.
 It is hard to find some of them because the weeds are so tall.
 And the pumpkins have every kind of affliction known to nature.
 Some have just been nibbled.
 The bite marks lead to rot.
 There's a squash bug on this one.  They bore into the stems.
 I hate it when there's a large pumpkin but it has a hole in it.
 This one is just sort of melting/oozing.
 Many of the leaves/vines had a problem with mold/fungus.  I was a neglectful farmer this year.  I never once sprayed fungicide.
 But, I got a few good pumpkins and a ton of little mini-pumpkins and gourds.
 Apparently gourds survive neglect better than pumpkins do.
 The pond is low and the animal tracks are very apparent on the edges.
 The clover plots have some large brown spots in them.
 I sprayed for broadleaf weeds a month ago and it has had some affect.
Poop of the week.  That is a buck bomb beside an apple.  I have been told that does drop individual pellets and bucks leave these agglomerated bombs.
 Main field sorghum seed heads.  I can now see some signs of deer activity in this field.  Trails and beds.
 A clover/chicory plot.  The chicory does well in the drought conditions.
 The brown area is where I planted turnips.  The leaves are turning brown - I don't know if they will revive if we ever get rain.  The green section is in oats (and other brassicas).
 I lit the grill and then walked down to the pond while it heated up.  I made about 5 casts with a flyrod and caught this small bass on a popper.
 This crab apple is really loaded.
A month ago when I was doing some trail maintenance.  Deer protein block in the foreground.
 Broadleaf weed spraying.
 I picked some apples last month.  They will probably all be gone by the time I get around to it again.

 I threw one camera away today.  I think that I have the cards sorted out for the rest of them.
Last photo ever from this camera.  It's dead.  Archery opens next weekend and I've only shot a couple of arrows for practice.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment