Sunday, August 14, 2016

Prairie Plot and Pumpkin Patch

 I don't think that there had been any rain for two weeks but we found this when we arrived.  The pavement was wet in the vicinity of the farm so we think it happened over night.
 Most of the prairie plot is green.  There is a lot of foxtail and an occasional tall stalk of what I think is sorghum.  I have a 2 acre food plot about 200 yards away.  Last year it had a summer mix that included sorghum.
 There is good evidence of most of the wildflowers that were in the seed mix.


There are some barespots.  I ordered some grass seed to use for a frost seeding.
I have no idea if some of the grass is the desired stuff.




 The deer have been chomping off some stuff.
They like this plant too.
The pumpkin patch had a new bloom of weeds to rival the prairie plot.
I weed wacked between the pumpkin & gourd plants before rototilling.  It helped me to identify the vines.
Starting to see some fruit.  There are many blooms too.




 Swan gourd.







 The ground started pretty wet but dried during the day.  It was hot and muggy.
 Eventually got the empty parts of the field cleared again.  There was supposed to be large pumpkins in those rows.  I don't think any Prizewinner or Dill's Atlantic pumpkins made it.
 The gourds and specialty pumpkins seem to be doing well.
 This is the main field planted in brassica two weeks ago.  Disappointing germination rate but there wasn't much rain.
 The far end of the field did a little better.
 Chicory clover field.
New clover plot by orchard.  Many weeds showing so I sprayed it again.  This time with Butyrac (24D-B).
Turkey feathers under the grape arbor.
 I think that they are eating grapes.
 Tiger swallowtail.
 Joan did some baking.  Zucchini bread - but the zucchini came from the farm market this year.
I mowed some clover plots for weed control.
 Oops - I'm a hazard with this bush-hog.  Another stand post needing repair/replacement.
 The prairie.
For frost seeding the bare spots.
 Camera tour - I put a little corn out this week.
 And another one of these blocks.
I'm not sure that all of the cameras are working well.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment