Sunday, September 4, 2016

Labor Day Weekend Delight


 Another week of no rain but the temperatures have broken.  Highs about 80.
Some vines in the patch have died.
 Others doing ok.
Not sure whether these green ones will turn orange.
 Turks Turban.
 First harvest of the year.  There are some good things amongst all those weeds.


Bluegills in shallows at the pond.


 I had a couple more encounters with a snake at the pond.  I guessing that it's a common water snake.  In this short video, I drop a deer bone on it to get it to move.
New Mexico prep.  This is my group at 200 yards off of the bench.  I have no idea if that's any good.  I wanted to be zeroed at 200 yards.  Maybe still a little high?
 So, I moved to the ground to practice more real life type shots.
 This group is 180 yards while sitting off of sticks.
 Standing off of sticks - Africa style.
 And prone off of a backpack.  This felt like the steady-ist hold but I'm not sure that the group is any better,
 And this is 70 yards off hand.  I took 6 shots and only 4 even hit the sheet.  Ugh.

I've never had any formal training.  I have no frame of reference to determine whether this shooting is any good.  I believe it pretty much sucks.
 Saturday evening I took my fly rod and a popper down to the pond.  It was magical.  Five hits on the first five casts.
And they weren't just hits - they were explosions.
 I landed four of the five.
It was really something.
A beat up old popper and they were hammering it.  I reluctantly quit and went to grill dinner.
 The first harvest load out of the season.
 I took a Sunday morning walk.  I put on the pack, wore my binos, carried my shooting sticks.  Prepping for New Mexico hunt.

Acorns are scarce this year.  I'm guessing the same freeze that affected my fruit trees also hit the acorn crop.
 There are lost of these along the atv trails.  I think that it is spicebush.
 A collection of purple stuff in the field.
 No apples and only a few pears.  The freeze/sleet/snow after blooming did this year in.
 I thought it was a decent walk.  Only 6749 steps and 25 flights of stairs.
 It was so nice out that Joan couldn't resist coming on the camera tour.
 The attractant.  Cracked corn.
 Also a protein block.
 The rest of the post is photos from the drone.  I flew it on Saturday afternoon/evening.
Looking down at the pond stand.
 And the barn stand.
 Can see the bare spots in the pumpkin patch.


 Most of the young fruit trees that I planted over the last five years (foreground) haven't survived.


Down the ridge trail toward the ridge stand.


Pumpkin patch - or should I say weed patch.
 Main field stand.


Brassica in main field is spotty.

This is the new prairie plot.  It goes over the hill in the back of this view.
 Driveway plot/stand on right side of this shot.


 Chicory clover on left.  New clover by orchard on right.

Looking down the driveway.
At the end, the camera acted up and would only point straight down.  That's the main field stand roof.  I'm not sure what's going on with this drone now - it's had a rough life.

Beautiful weather this weekend.  We could use a little rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment