Sunday, January 27, 2019

It Is Winter


We had single digits this week, then up to the 40's, then back to the teens.  I wasn't expecting much activity on the cameras.  The shot counts were way down.
I expected more movement on the warmer days.  This is 46F.
 A button buck at 39F.
 A girl party at 38F.
 37F
 24F
 23F
19F
15F
 Now we're getting hearty - 10F.
Some moving at 5F.
 5F.
I always see a lot of in and out traffic here.
 So I followed the trail in.
Found a couple beds on this knob.
I suspect this pricker and honeysuckle tangle nearby is a buck bedding area.
Still turnips in the field but it would be like eating rocks at this temperature.
 Surprising amount of rubbing activity still going on.

I thought that they'd be over it by now.
Oh the joys of trail maintenance.
 Looking for a place to have a 300 yard range.  Most places with 300 yard line of sight don't have any backstop.  This is a possibility.
 Had the power company out to fix the yard light.  It's been fading on and off for a couple years.  Looks like they gave me a new one.  I'm not sure why I expected more than wire nuts for the installation.
The bobcat - one image this week.
Red fox.
Cold doesn't bother him.
 Or this grey fox.  Not many coyote shots this week.  I didn't bother to post the dogs.
The usual suspects - cardinals.  Also get red bellied woodpeckers, junkos and sparrows.
I had this electronic mouse/rat trap in the barn.  Hadn't checked it in awhile.  There was a frozen desiccated mouse in there.
Great visibility into the woods.
 This guy dropped (or broke) one side before Christmas.

 Not much moving in the extreme cold - this is a brave (or stupid) one.
 No evidence of them dropping yet.
I tried to do a temperature scale of me out walking.  23F.
23F
 19F
 11F
But I got out of order.  26F
 19F
 13F
28F - Heat Wave.

Polar Vortex event predicted for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment