Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Redbuds, Morels, Strutting Toms - Must Be Spring

Now that Joan and I are vaccinated, we decided that it was time to visit some family.  So we drove to Virginia to visit our daughter's family.  We did a number of fun things like visit a tulip farm.

And feed some baby goats.
We helped to get a garden planted.
And then we sprinted to Florida where we visited with my parents and my sister and her husband.

And Joan's sister came over to visit with us.  It was so good to be with family again.  It had been too long.
While we were gone, I was concerned that we would completely miss spring and some of its bounty - like morel mushrooms.
My nephew Dave graciously stepped in to harvest some while we were gone.  Here's Dawn and Dave. They picked the ones above.
Joan and I finally passed thru on the way home and we stopped at the farm for a couple hours. We didn't completely miss spring - the redbuds were in bloom.
The pears were done but the crabapples were blooming.

The recently pruned fruit apples had some blooms.
But the redbuds and dogwoods were near peak.
Here's a video of driving thru this redbud tunnel.  Redbud Tunnel
I didn't have much time to appreciate them, but the wildflowers are doing their thing.
There is a potential for snow and a freeze tonight - it could be the end of some of this display.
I spent 45 minutes searching the morel hotspot that we found last year and I found some.
Not bad - I hope to find more when I get back out in a few days.
This should hold me over until then.
Sure to be tasty.
When we got home, this redbud was going.  I transplanted it from the farm when it was a 4 footer.
I have literally thousands of photos from the trailcams for 3+ weeks. 
The gobblers have been strutting their stuff.

This is just a taste of them - I will sort and make another post.







It wasn't just the gobblers.


The bucks are starting to show bumps for antlers.
And we have the normal social interactions.

More to follow when I wade thru the accumulated photo inventory.  The turkey opening day is this weekend - hopefully the snow will be gone by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment