Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Texas Prep, Gut-pile Visitors, and Predator Confab

Eric and I have an aoudad sheep hunt in southwest Texas later in the month.  We added on another two-day hunt with a different outfitter in central TX where we are going to hunt ducks in the morning and hogs in the afternoon. In preparation for this hunt, I'm trying to decide which rifle and what load to use.

In this era of ammo shortages, the decision has to also be influenced by what loads are available.  This is my inventory of ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 30-06.  I have been trading email with one of the gun writers and asked him what he would choose.  He surprised me when he selected the 180 grain Barnes 30-06 load.  I consider that to be my elk load.  He is definitely a fan of the sturdy mono-metal construction of the Barnes bullet.

I picked the two loads that I had the most of and went to the range.

First, I shot 1/2 box of each to see where I was and how they were shooting.  I aimed the 6.5 at the bullseye and I picked a random (probably not repeatable) spot at the bottom for the 30-06.  It was near the "8".
I really wanted to be about 2.5" high anticipating long range for the aoudad.  So I made a couple of scope adjustments and shot a 3 shot group from each.
I added an orange dot for the aiming spot for the 30-06.  Two of the 6.5 thru the same hole and about a 3/4" group.  The 30-06 shot about a 1" group.  Both on about center and maybe 3" high.  These were the loads that I was working with.
So, what do you think? Which would you choose?  Or should I go with the heavier Barnes in 30-06?

The last time that I was out, I took a buck.  I picked up the meat from the processor and celebrated with a dinner of loin medallions.  It'll do...
After the hunt, I disposed of the gut pile in front of a trail camera. On the buck that Eric took earlier, I mostly got crows on camera.  This time, the action was different.
Surprisingly, the first visitors were a group of does.
Followed by a buck.
Then a ton of crows.
And some hawks.
I'm not sure what kind these are.  I call them all redtail.


And, a bobcat during daylight.
And at night.
Plus a nervous looking coyote.
Anyway, it's gone now.  All cleaned up.
There were a ton of bobcat photos this week.

I don't think that it is all the same cat.


This one looks smaller.


They do have effective camo.
And, of course, the coyotes.





A few turkeys out for a stroll.

I just liked this doe photo.
This doe seems to have a chest abscess.
The boys are still sparing.
The brassica is definitely being consumed but there is still a lot of food in the fields.
Chilly for the camera tour
On the hunt during bonus weekend.
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment