Sunday, April 10, 2022

Some Signs of Spring

One of my spring chores is to stock some minnows, shiners and grass carp in our pond.  This year, I also put in a few more bluegill. It happened to be about 36F when I did it this year.

As the day went on, it actually got worse.  This camera says it's 49F but that's a lie because it is snowing.  Here's a video to prove it.  April Snow
Evidence on the ground.
This camera had a more realistic temperature - 33F.
Honestly, it came in waves.
In spite of that, the pear trees were in bloom.
Redbuds are just starting to bud out.  They're a couple weeks from peak.
Crabapple buds showing.
The newly planted orchard got beat up this winter - mostly by the deer in spite of the tape.
Some of the trees look doomed but there are signs of life on some other trees.
By Sunday morning the sun was out and trending to 60F.  The daffodils are still blooming.

Somewhere I read that invasive species green up first in the spring.  I'm not sure if that's a universal truth but seems true at this farm.  This is honeysuckle.
Multiflora rose.
I'd be glad to be ride of the above species but the one below, I kinda like.  It's wineberry that produces a tasty raspberry like berry.
My fall food plot of brassica is producing "volunteer" plants this spring.
Some of the clover plots are showing a lot of thistle already. It may be too early for spraying but I went ahead and did it because I hate the thistle.
They are incredibly hard to kill since they have a very deep taproot but this is an example of them just getting started.
On my woods walks, I've been looking for shed antlers.  I haven't found any but I found two of these in separate locations.  They look like steel tire hoops for old wooden spoke wheels.
On Sunday morning, while I was eating my breakfast, I had a parade of turkeys outside my window.  And a couple of them were gobbling up a storm.  Here's a shot video.  Turkey action
There was a ton of turkey activity on the cameras.  I had several weeks of accumulated photos to review.






Jake parade.








Mature Toms.







The usual predator activity.

Check out this 3 shot bobcat sequence.











What was he doing?
Bernese?
Some deer shots.

A few bucks still in antlers in late March.



This guy has clearly given his up.
Poop of the week - coyote I think.

1 comment:

  1. The Bluebird was probably checking the camera lens to see if it was a possible nest hole.

    ReplyDelete