Monday, May 9, 2022

Redbuds and Lone Star Ticks

Some years ago, I transplanted about a 4 foot tall redbud from the farm to our yard.  It has done quite well there and here's a couple photos from when it was near peak blossom.

It has this interesting tendency to grow clusters of blooms on the branches too.
Anyway, the ticks seem especially bad this year and it seems like they get worse every year.  I have a few friends and acquaintances that have been affected with either Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever Mayo Clinic on RMSF or Alpha-Gal meat allergies Mayo Clinic on Alpha-Gal.  Recently the Washington Post ran an article on the Lone Star tick and I thought it might be of interest.  W-P Article on Lone Star Ticks

Another blogger that I follow, who's farm is not far from ours, also posted about them recently. I wasn't aware that hand sanitizer worked so well on the little ones.  Blue Jay Barrens on the Lone Star Tick

Anyway, I take all kinds of precautions like permethrin on clothes, tick gaiters, long sleeves, showers, inspections, etc.  But I still find them crawling on me - sometimes more than a day after I've left the farm.  They are nasty little buggers and I am going to be very sad if I ever develop this meat allergy.


No comments:

Post a Comment