Sunday, August 21, 2022

No Drought This Year in August

Only about 1/2" of rain fell this week so I got a little time in the pumpkin patch while it was semi-dry.  Then it rained some more and another 1/2" fell.  I really just got some weed-whacking done around the edges of the patch. It's hard to tell whether there's any survivors out there in the chest high weeds and grass.  This is my zucchini row - about 1/2 of them have died off.

My harvest this week - not much from about 20 plants.
Where I can see things growing around the edges, all I see is evidence of somebody nibbling.
I think it must be a groundhog - seems like chisel teeth.
And then in the most random places, I find volunteer pumpkins.

Once the rain started, I moved onto other chores.  I got my 30-06 cleaned and adjusted the scope position.  I didn't get it re-zeroed yet.

I've been watching a YouTube channel called Whitetail Habitat Solutions.  One of the things that this guy really advocates is a "licking branch" that is a free-hanging piece of grapevine.  
I tried to hang one near each of our stands.
He doesn't believe in adding any scent - just let it happen naturally.
I guess it's worth a try.  My mock scrapes using purchased scent haven't been huge successes.
The prep for the roundabout and RV parking spot has progressed.  Van hopes to work on it during this week.
The goose flock made another appearance.
The plots that I no-till planted are showing some green.  
Hopefully it is what I planted and not just random weeds.
The brassica over-seed in the soybeans looks great - other than the spots that I must have missed with the broadcast spreader.
Joan was in Costco and saw this camera bundle for $135,  She didn't realize that it was a cell camera when she bought it for me.
I was glad to have it and these are the first customers.
Some more shots from the grandkid visit last week.

Charlie and I during the hike.
Lucy out for a walk while talking to her Dad on Facetime.
She decided that he should be on the blog too.




The fawns are still in spots.
They should start to fade in a month or so,


Sharing space with the turkeys.


I just liked the way the sun lit up her whiskers.

How about this shot - what bird of prey might this be?
And another one in a different spot.

The coyotes of course.


Lots of turkeys.

Including poults.


Sharing some corn with a buck.

And a few bucks making the rounds.



No comments:

Post a Comment