Sunday, June 11, 2023

Fawns, Pumpkin Planting, Food Plots, New Shed

I planted 3 soy bean plots in early May, they germinated nicely and it hasn't rained since.  I've been gone for a couple weeks and finally got a chance to check things out.

This is what they all looked like now.  I think the deer clipped off all the soybean sprouts and the only thing that grew without rain was grass and weeds.  I sprayed them with roundup and the rain is coming tonight (finally).  Hopefully they will recover.
It's a similar situation in the sunflowers that I planted.  There's a few in there with the grass.  Hopefully the rain will jump-start them.  1" predicted overnight tonight.
Of course, I went to plant the pumpkins and the rototiller had a flat tire that needed strapped to inflate.  The stem is inboard on this tire (Murphy's law).
I only planted about 1/2 as many pumpkins this year.  No time to plant or to tend them.
Finished with the tape up.  The green in the foreground is supposed to be sunflowers.
The new implement shed that Van handled for me while I was travelling.
It's perfect to just get some equipment and wood out of the weather.
Gravel delivery from the limestone quarry.
As usual, I jumped in the Ranger and headed out to check cameras.  Once again, I forgot to check the top of the roll cage where I had been keeping the turkey fan.  It fell off into the field without damage.
This is how I had it mounted and salted to dry out.
I got one of those mounting kits because my previous fans had been mounted on the barn wall and have fallen apart.
I made unilateral decorating decisions which I'm sure will be whole-heartedly embraced (Joan).

I stumbled across this article which I thought was interesting.  Lots of conventional deer hunting wisdom being refuted. Deer Study in PA

Here's a couple very pregnant does as late as June 1.
And here are a bunch of newborn fawns as early as May 24.







And here is nature at work.  This sure appears to be a coyote with a newborn fawn on May 28.
There are plenty of predators around who would enjoy a nice fawn meal.  
Coyotes for sure.


Maybe even a fox.


Interesting coon/doe interaction.
I'm always amazed and repulsed by the ticks.
Turkeys coming to the bird feeder to clean up any spillage.
Lots of turkey activity.
Including turkey fights!













And a bobcat (who also might enjoy a fawn meal).
The bucks are starting to sprout some antler.











No comments:

Post a Comment