I had a visit this week from Jason Jones of Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever. Pheasants Forever This was arranged at the recommendation of Gavin Nupp, the Service Forester for my area. Gavin said that Jason would be the best person to advise me on my prairie plot (warm season grass plot).
We toured a little and looked at various species found around the farm. On TourThis stand of Eastern Gamma Grass caught Jason's eye (I think that's what it was).
Here he was showing me the seeds.
Walking into to look at that bunch of grass, Jason eyed this drama in progress. If you look closely at the photo you will see that a praying mantis has snagged a butterfly for a meal.
He pointed out this weed which he said was highly preferred and beneficial as a deer forage. I already forgot what he said it was. I just tried to look it up and came up with beggar's lice but I thought he said something like triticale. Anybody knows what it really is?
This one was a variety of milkweed that I have already forgotten. He also pointed out an invasive that I have been seeing more of lately. I didn't take a photo. I believe that it was sericea lepidosa.
Anyway, I learned a lot and look forward to receiving an email with some ideas and recommendation. I guess that Pheasants and Quail Forever sort of partner with NCRS and provide this free consulting service to advance their conservation missions via private lands. If your interested, here's Jason's contact info.
I spent the rest of the day catching up on some bush-hogging. Some of my food plots were being taken over by weeds that were threatening to go to seed. Since it was so nice and cool I went ahead and gave them a "haircut".
I didn't mow all of them. The ones in the best shape just got the perimeter done and any obnoxious stands of weeds got cut. Backing into a camera
I saw several box turtles in the process and avoided them. I did find this shell which had obviously been hit but there was no evidence of a current resident.
My Macintosh apple tree seems to be sending up a sprout. This tree was probably 8 years old but had been damaged previously by a buck rubbing antlers on it. It looked healthy but the trunk was compromised and it blew over in the last storm. It would be neat if it came back but it could just be a root stock from grafting.
Here's some unusual photos this week - duking it out.
I have no idea on this one. An owl or a moth?
Just above the atv trail is a large wingspan bird of some sort swooping into the woods.
Not sure what kind of bird this is but thought the photo was kind of interesting.
Yikes on this one - makes me think of Alfred Hitchcock.
It was so nice that I decided to walk the camera tour.
Some turkeys.
Lots of coyotes this week.
It's been quite a while since I've seen a bobcat but one showed up.
The bucks are still in velvet and willing to hang out in bachelor groups.
Here's a video. Spike
Lots of fawns.
How about some fawn videos? Fawn Fawn2 Fawn3 Fawn4
Twins.
The lightening was cool in this video. Lightening
I thought that this was a nice pose.
Mixing it up with the turkeys.
They don't mind the electric fence.
Strutting action.
Some video action. Turkeys
Look at the size of these poults. Then look at them in this video. Little Poults
Feeling frisky.
I didn't mow all of them. The ones in the best shape just got the perimeter done and any obnoxious stands of weeds got cut. Backing into a camera
I saw several box turtles in the process and avoided them. I did find this shell which had obviously been hit but there was no evidence of a current resident.
My Macintosh apple tree seems to be sending up a sprout. This tree was probably 8 years old but had been damaged previously by a buck rubbing antlers on it. It looked healthy but the trunk was compromised and it blew over in the last storm. It would be neat if it came back but it could just be a root stock from grafting.
Here's some unusual photos this week - duking it out.
I have no idea on this one. An owl or a moth?
Just above the atv trail is a large wingspan bird of some sort swooping into the woods.
Not sure what kind of bird this is but thought the photo was kind of interesting.
Yikes on this one - makes me think of Alfred Hitchcock.
It was so nice that I decided to walk the camera tour.
Some turkeys.
Lots of coyotes this week.
It's been quite a while since I've seen a bobcat but one showed up.
The bucks are still in velvet and willing to hang out in bachelor groups.
Here's a video. Spike
Lots of fawns.
How about some fawn videos? Fawn Fawn2 Fawn3 Fawn4
Twins.
The lightening was cool in this video. Lightening
I thought that this was a nice pose.
Mixing it up with the turkeys.
They don't mind the electric fence.
Strutting action.
Some video action. Turkeys
Look at the size of these poults. Then look at them in this video. Little Poults
Feeling frisky.

No comments:
Post a Comment