Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Black Powder Season - The Finale

I'm eating my buck tag this year.  I think that I saw more bucks than ever - mostly during archery season and out of range.  There are definitely trophy bucks around - they keep showing up on camera at night (I plan to post some more pictures).  I've got to find a way to encounter them in range during daylight hours.

Only two deer harvested this year - both does.  Kristen and I each took one.  So Joan doesn't have to worry about a lack of protien in our diet.  Well, I guess she still does since she doesn't eat venison anyway.

Dave and I hunted this weekend.  We basically didn't see anything except Dave saw a bunch of deer in the woods on a mid-day walk into the valley stand.  He said he saw about 20 deer milling about and eating acorns.  All out of range.

I stayed and hunted Monday.  I didn't see anything in the morning and I took a mid-day walk in the woods below the barn stand and the barn.  I walked past an area where I had seen a large buck bedding in previous years.  This is what I saw:
Looks like he was still bedding there this year but he was long gone before I got to him.
Here's his bedside latrine.  Looked fresh.

Incidentally, several people have indicated that the caviar or blackberry scat in previous post is, in fact, from racoons.










Monday evening I had 4 bucks in front of me at the highrise stand for the last 30 minutes of light.  Two of them were young 4 points.  One was a respectable 6 point - about ear wide with no brow tines.  And the last one only had one antler but it was a nice 4 point on that side.  I'll post something on these one-antlered bucks when I get a minute.  Anyway, I decided that they would all be better next year - too young.

We have had an early, cold and snowy winter.  Here's a few random shots from the trailcams that give you an idea of the conditions.

 Sunrise over the barn in January.  As I recall, it was 3 or 4 degrees at the time.  The yard light makes it look like there's two suns.

 I turned the camera to extract the card and it snapped this shot of the ladder stand.  The next 4 shots are of Dave or me approaching the stand or camera.  I remain amazed that some camo turns white in the infra-red flash.




This is by the orchard - check out the temperature.  On the way out to hunt before sunrise....
...and on the way back a couple hours later and frozen solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment