Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Turkey Hunt and Other Stuff

Aunt Karen came this week to stay with Joan in order to allow me to get to a steel industry conference that I attend each year.  Dave and I took advantage of her being here to slip out to the farm Sunday night in order to hunt Monday morning. 

We had a pretty good hunt but have nothing to show for it.  We were down on an atv trail below the barn field when we got some gobbles from up in the field.  We climbed up the hill and tried to lure the gobblers into the woods - no luck.  I eventually belly-crawled out into the field while staying below the crown of the hill.  I set up a hen decoy and caught a glimpse of two gobblers stutting about 100 yards away.  I got back to the tree line and we set up to call them over to us.  Both Dave and I called for more than an hour.  They answered.  They got closer.  They got farther away.  But they were over the hill crown and we couldn't really see them.  At one point I saw one of them circling around our hen decoy but he just turned and left.  I thought we were done but he immediately responded to calls and stayed up over the hill just out of sight.

After playing at this for a long time, I belly-crawled out to the decoy, got up on my knees, and shot the first gobbler I saw (40 yards?).  He appeared hit and a second gobbler ran by him.  Then the one I hit started to run too and I tried to get him with a follow up shot.  Unfortunately the first shell didn't eject cleanly from the Benelli and he ran away.

Dave and I walked over to where I shot him and we found some feathers.  We actually followed a trail of feathers across the field and into the woods.  But we never found the bird.

At the end of the day, I fired the 3 remaining shells from the Benelli and it cycled perfectly.

Anyway, here's a few interesting shots from the trail cameras.

Same coyote?

In daylight?
I have  been seeing this critter frequently and I've been calling him a groundhog.
He sure looks like a groundhog.
But, do groundhogs climb trees?
This one sure does.
Could he be a mutant squirrel?

Antler growth has definitely started.


No comments:

Post a Comment