Sunday, June 19, 2011

Early Preparations for the Utah Elk Hunt

In September, I am going to make a second attempt at elk hunting.  The first attempt was in Idaho a couple of years ago.  It was an awesome experience - horseback and tent camping in the mountains with wolves howling - but it did not result in any elk being harvested (and precious few even being seen).  I found that experience pretty challenging as I hauled my fat butt up and down mountain sides looking for the beasts.  So, starting tomorrow, I'm going to try to get myself in shape for this year's adventure.  I also need to practice with my rifle and break in new equipment.

Unfortunately, my shooting bench is in a little bit of disrepair - it lost a fight with a brush-hog.  So I'm improvising.  I shot a box of shells thru my 30-06 today to try to find the best setting for my BOSS (muzzle brake on the Browning A-Bolt).  I did it by shooting off the back of the Ranger at 100 yards.

The objective is to sight in the gun 2" high at 100 yards.  I'm not perfect but I'm getting close as you can see in this five shot group.  More tweaking and practicing required but I'm in the ballpark.

Incidentally, the target stand is falling into some disrepair too.

I have 3 pairs of insulated hunting boots but only one pair of uninsulated boots.  And, as you can see, they're pretty worn out.

So I bought a new pair with the idea that I'd get them well broken in before September.  Made a good start on that process today.

When my children were visiting the farm a couple of weeks ago, I apparently embarrased them with the rags that I was wearing to protect me from the sun and the bugs.  As a result, I got some great new shirts for Father's Day - and I'm well on my way to turning them into rags too.



No comments:

Post a Comment