Sunday, June 19, 2011

Foodplots and Garden on Father's Day

Two weeks ago, I planted Roundup-Ready forage soybeans in two of my food plots.  This week the beans are up and the weeds aren't too bad yet.  I'm going to wait awhile before hitting them with the first dose of Roundup.  This is the orchard field and you can see that the beans and the weeds are up.



Below is the driveway stand field - it's in about the same condition.

I also planted sunflowers today.  I need to put the tape up to keep the deer out or they will wipe them out before they get to be a foot tall.

Below is the pumpkin plot that I prepared two weeks ago.  It had been disked and dragged.  As you can see, it is already sprouting a healthy crop of weeds.  I dred the thought of weeding this plot by hand.

My brainstorm was to disk the plot again in between the rows that I was planting.  It's sort of like rototilling but with an 8' wide disk on the back of a tractor.  Then I planted in the rows between the tilled ground.

This is what I planted this year.  I'm late getting stuff in the ground and it may not work out.  I got the longer term pumpkins planted (115 and 98 days).  I also planted some beans, corn, melons, zuchinni, carrots, cucumbers and peppers.  Normally, I just do pumpkins but I'm going to try a few more things.  It will probably end up just feeding the bugs and the wildlife.  There are a couple more rows to plant and I have shorter pumpkins to go in there (90 days).

No comments:

Post a Comment