Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Quick Visit

I ran out and back on Saturday because I still have pumpkins to plant.  I also need to get the deer barrier fence up around the garden and the sunflowers.  I made some progress but there is still a lot to do.  Amy arrived in Mason on Saturday evening so I wanted to be home for dinner.
I'm pretty sure that these are zucchini.  It as been terribly dry and I'm surprised that we got germination.  I watered last weekend and this weekend.  I hope it's enough.  This fabric must help.
Some peas in the foreground and beans behind them.
Cucumbers.  You can see how dry the soil is - amazing that they germinated.
Pumpkins, gourds or melons - not sure which.  I planted some of thems in mounds and they have a hard dry crust on them.

This is the sunflower plot - dry as dust.  The one sunflower in the foreground is about the only one that came up this week.
Some soybeans in the orchard field.  They germinated a little better than the sunflowers but we need rain desperately.

Soybeans at the driveway stand.  Real spotty germination.  If we get some rain, I expect these fields will fill in.
The main chore was to get some more pumpkins planted.  Here's a row that I hoed for planting.  You can see other rows that I watered with a soaker hose.
Seeds in and then cover them up.  About 1/2 the pumpkin patch is planted now.  I hope to get the rest in next week.
I got the "Plotsaver" deer barrier up around the pumpkin patch but I ran out of time before I could do the sunflowers.  Since there aren't many up yet, it can wait till next week.

There are lots of these blooms right now in the fields.  I think Mom told me that these are Indian Paintbrush.
The wild rasberries aren't quite ripe yet.  We've never really picked many of these.  It's kind of like the cherries - you have to be there to race the birds and critters once they start to ripen.
The does should be about ready to drop their fawns.  This doe looks healthy but I can't tell if she's pregnant.
Picture quality isn't great but this one looks pregnant.
First fawn of the season shows up on camera.


Mom cleaning up her fawn. Can you see all the flies on the doe?  They drive the deer nuts in the summer.
These guys like the fawning season. A newborn fawn is easy prey and a delicacy for a coyote.
I can't figure this photo out - do you think it's a meteor landing behind this buck?


2002 women's swim team shirt.  Obviously, rejects go to the farm.
Minerals for the deer.  The bucks need it for growing their antlers and the does need it while nursing.
Can you tell that I've been working in the dustbowl fields?



No comments:

Post a Comment