Sunday, November 2, 2014

Getting to be Prime Time

 I arrived on Saturday and did a few chores like disposing of the leftover pumpkins and gourds.
 During my tour, I noticed that the rubbing activity has really increased.
 The weather turned colder with lows in the 20's expected overnight.
 It had rained and the wind was howling.
 Dave came over and he took a turkey blind down in the valley to get out of the wind.  He did see a good buck at last light but didn't have a shot.
 I hunted the driveway stand.  It was 35 degrees with a 20 mph wind.  Not too much moving and I froze.  I saw one doe as I was coming in.
 Sunday morning I went back to the same stand.  It was 28 degrees but calm and didn't feel nearly as cold.  I had a large bodied buck walk thru the field at about 30 yards.  He only had one antler.
 He crossed the field and went and rubbed this tree for awhile.
 This is the one sided buck - he was on trail camera.
 As you can tell his one side is pretty nice.  I suspect that this is the mutant and the forked side broke off.  Somebody pretty strong must have done the damage.
 This buck is a good candidate.
He's a bruiser.
We had quite a frost on Sunday morning.  The deer haven't been using the turnips much but this frost may change things.
 Dave and I sighted in muzzleloaders.  They both needed a little work.
 Sunday afternoon was perfect.  The wind was calm.  It was sunny and about 50 degrees.
 These are the first two does that came out in the chicory by the pond.
Eventually I had two more does and two bucks make their way from the driveway up to the main field. One buck was a 4 pointer and the other was about a 16" 8 point.  I decided to try for something larger.  He didn't come out this night.
More trailcams.  This is about the size buck that I saw on Sunday evening.


 Grey fox.
 fox again.
 Coyote



Dave heading out to the ridge stand last week.
 On the way in for breakfast.
 Touring with Joan.
 Chores.



No comments:

Post a Comment