Saturday, June 6, 2015

More Pumpkin Planting

The ticks have been terrible this year.  Dr. Amy made me aware of this website Tickspotters.  It helps to identify which type of tick (if you submit a picture) and it also tells you whether there is any disease prevalent in your zip code.  So far, I've mainly been taking male lone star ticks off of my body.  I've saved a few in the freezer.  This blog had a nice sequence on a snapping turtle laying eggs in an ant hill in nearby Adams County snapping-turtle-laying-eggs
 For tick defense, I sprayed up a new set of work clothes with permethrin.  It takes a couple of hours to dry so I took the tractor out to keep working on the prairie grass plot plowing.  Not quite done yet.
 After about an hour the plow was acting up.  The front disk slipped down in its clamp and was hitting on the plow itself.  I spent about an hour trying to fix it.
 Finally, I gave up and moved on to other things.  Van will probably have it fixed in about 2 minutes.
 I now have about 3/4 of the pumpkin patch planted.
 There are a few volunteers from last year.  There are also plenty of weeds.
Some of my rows are showing some germination.
I haven't kept very good records of what I planted in past years.  Here's my attempt this year.  A few zucchini and all the rest are pumpkins and gourds of various varieties.  I won't be back for a couple of week - I'm sure that it will be a weed-fest by then.  We did get almost 1/2" of rain this week.
 This is the sunflower plot.  They're up.
The main field has a fine mixture of weeds and planted stuff sprouted.  I'm not at all sure how this will work out. I didn't get the soybean field sprayed with roundup yet.  Hope that it's not too late when I get back.
 One of the chicory/clover plots.  It has some weed issues but is doing pretty well.
Here's the other one by the main field stand.  Same thing - mostly good but some weeds.
Driveway stand clover is not bad.
 I'm leaving the orchard field for fall planting.  Probably brassica of some type.
 Honeysuckle vine has engulfed this pine tree.
 The persimmons are coming.
Fox
 Coyote
 Turkey
More turkeys - some with beards.
 Van worked on the pond stand.  More supports on the stairs and the head-banger shutter has been fixed.
 Stairs fixed on the pump house.  It seems that somebody has been bumping the house with the tractor when mowing.  Who could that be?





 Only decent buck picture this week.
 Eric and T3.  Some of the cameras are acting up and only writing to the SD card when they feel like it.  Several of them need replaced.

 While tractoring - before suiting up with sprayed clothes and hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment