Saturday, July 30, 2016

Last Plot Planted

 It's been a wet week. 3" in the rain gauge.  I'm still trying to get fields fertilized and every time we schedule it, it rains.
 I prepared the main field last week.  I'm running out of time to plant and I'm not sure when I'll be back.  I would have like to get the fertilizer down.  But, I went ahead and spread the seed,
 I broadcast wintergreens which is a brassica mixture from WINA.  I also did some turnips on one end of the field.
 The field was pretty wet - good thing that I wore my muck boots.
 The pumpkins that are growing look pretty good.
 It seems like the large carving pumpkins didn't germinate too well but the small specialty pumpkins did,
There are some big bare spots in the plot.
 And, after all the rain, the weeds are sprouting again.
This is the prairie plot.  There's lots growing - I'm just not sure how much of it is what I planted.
 There are some bare spots.
And some sprouts of something that may be corn, or sorghum or Johnson grass. I'm not smart enough to tell.
 Seed head - sorghum?
I can't see a lot of the warm season grasses that are supposed to be part of this plot.  But maybe this is sideoats grama?
 There are all kinds of flowering weeds - I'm not sure what's what.








 Butterfly weed I think.
The old fescue pasture has a ton of this pink flower in it this year.
I don't know what it is either.
The new clover plot by the orchard seems to be holding its own against the warm season weeds.
Many of the old established clover plots could stand to be mowed for weed control.
 Twin fawns showing on camera.

And some singles too.

 A couple bucks - nothing too special.

But lots of Tom turkeys.


Almost August.  Hunting season will be here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment