Sunday, April 23, 2017

Getting Out and About - Turkey Time

 This was Joan's first trip out to the farm since hip surgery.  The good news is that there are no steps.
 She wasn't ready to tour via Ranger so we did a short loop via GMC Yukon.
 I got out and about though.
I didn't do an autopsy on this fish in the pond.  So far just one so hopefully nothing major.
The prairie planting from last year.
 There are some wildflowers blooming in it.
 I'm not sure if they were part of the planting or just the native seed bank in the soil.
 I suspect the later.
I mowed some of the clover plots for weed control.
 The redbuds are past peak but the dogwoods are near peak.
I don't remember pink ones in prior years - seems like they were mostly white.

I found a shed antler while mowing near the driveway stand.
 The rodents had already been chewing it.
 I set up a ground blind in case I can get some time to turkey hunt.  The season opens Monday morning.
 Green up has started.
 The grass is really long already in some spots.
 Joan spotted this rose breasted grosbeak at the feeder.  At least I think that's what it is.
 Ed was out and got the fertilizer spread.  We never made it happen last year.
 I did some spraying for grass control in the clover about 10 days ago.  No evidence of it working.  Broadleaf control is also needed.
A red fox showed up several places.


 Coyotes still in force.

In spite of the predators, the turkeys are here.


 Not as much strutting this week and I didn't hear any gobbles.

 More gobblers than hens on camera.




 The three amigos.


 Small antler bumps.
 Bigger belly bumps.
Stretch.

Nobody up there now.

It is the one year anniversary of the multiple murders in the neighborhood.  Still no arrests.  Here's the latest press coverage.
Pike County Murders Article

No comments:

Post a Comment