Sunday, April 30, 2017

Turkey Hunt - Am I Being Mocked?

 When we arrived at the farm this week, three gobblers ran out of the clover in the orchard field, crossed the driveway in front of us, and ran into the woods.

This is the view from my blind down the trail - I have a decoy out.
 View out the other side into the field - another decoy.  I sat here from before sunrise until about 8:00.  I heard a couple of gobbles in the distance but never really got any communication going.  So I got up and went for a walk.  First along the field edges, then down into the woods.  More distant gobbles - no action.  As I headed in, I came up the atv trail into the barn field.  I was careful at the field edge and caught sight of a couple gobblers.  I froze but they saw something and headed toward the field edge.  I gave them a couple yelps but they were out of sight.  I waited, called, waited and then looked around the corner.  I could see two red heads sticking out of the woods edge looking my way.
 I took a quick shot at the first one and he went straight up in the air about 20' and came down in a brier patch.  I went to look for him and saw no sign.

This photo is from the drive out.  There were at least six turkeys in the driveway with one strutting as we came around the corner.  By the time I got the phone up, only two were left.
 The rest of them headed down into the woods.  I could see three bright red heads.  I'm pretty sure that they are mocking me.

Only a chance for a couple hours of hunting.  May get to try again.
 On the walk I passed this huge ant hill - looking quite active.
 The ferns are in their glory.  I didn't spot any morels.
 Various flowers blooming.
Orchard clover looks great.  I did some spraying in some of the other fields.
Huge bullfrogs in the small frog pond.  Also lots of peepers.  These tadpoles are in the fish pond.  Not sure what they are.

Below is a video of them.


 
 An interesting moth on the barn while I was filling the sprayer.
 The old fashion rain gauge showed 1.5" of rain this week.
 The fancy new hi-tech weather station showed 0.32" in the last 24 hours and 0.26" earlier in the week.  0.58" vs 1.5".  I think I believe the 1.5" - it was wet.
 Some of the turkeys that were mocking me.








 The three amigos.


 A curious buck.
 In for a closer look.
 Look at the size of Mama.


 Little points starting.
 Expecting.
This is not a large looking buck but look at the size of these antler bases.
Wow - good start.

 Other items of interest - a crow.
 Groundhog.
 Possum.
 Fox tail.
 Interesting neck fur.  A mane?
 Photo of blind last week.

 Chores, chores, chores.
They may be mocking me but I don't give up easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment