Sunday, May 7, 2017

Snakes, Bobcats, Coyote, Deer, Fish, and Birds

 Look what I found out the kitchen window.  We appear to have a mating pair of blacksnakes living under the slab.
 I'm guessing two five footers.  I wasn't aware that there are more than one kind of blacksnake but there are.  There are black rat snakes and black racers.  I'm not exactly sure which these are - the good news is that both eat mice.
 It was a cold morning and they came out to sun.  If startled, they darted under the slab.  Here's a short video of one moving.

 I came back several times to check on them.  They would sun for awhile and hide for awhile.  Is it a coincidence that this is 10 feet from the birdfeeder?
 Two heads.
 Great gobs of snake.
 This was pretty exciting too.
 The bobcat showed up on two cameras - both in daylight.
 Bluebird, cardinal and dove.  All snake-bait?
 Redwing blackbird.
I took the flyrod down and threw the popper a couple times.  It was cold and I wasn't expecting much - but this large bluegill hit it.
 The bat house on the pond stand. I think it is time for occupation if it is going to happen this year.  Not sure how to tell - I guess that I have to watch it at dark.
 Turkey hunting last week.  I had a fun morning this week.  I had two gobblers talking to me - I think that it started from the roost.  It sounded like they were coming in from the left and the right.  Got really loud and then...silence.
Eventually I went in for breakfast and then headed out to the driveway stand.  I had seen some action there on camera.  I was trying to be careful as I got close to the field but not good enough - I saw a turkey fly into the woods.  I set up anyway and called.  After 30 minutes a coyote came in.  He came in from behind.  Hopped right up to the decoy and kept going.  I'm not sure if a turkey load would have done the trick at 30 yards.  No time anyway.
This is why I set up here.  I actually leaned against the stand post and had a decoy just past the turkey in this shot.  It will be interesting to see if the camera caught the coyote.
Lots of birds on camera.








 The three amigos.




 1.2" in the rain gauge.
 About 0.4" in the Bloomsky.
 Could bird poop be the cause?  The wires are supposed to keep the birds off.
 Our last old cherry tree has cherries.
 Pears look good on one tree, missing on the other.
Apples looking good.
Several varieties both old and new trees.
 And, for the first time, peaches.
 The deer are doing their thing.
Some bucks are starting to grow new antlers.


 Interesting coat on this guy.
 I had one camera with no shots.  Think that I have it figured out.  I did some mowing even though it is quite wet.  Too wet for turning the plots that need to be planted.
It's green now and everything is growing - too fast.  I tried to start the rototiller.  Somehow I missed the fact that it had been filled with oil for the winter.  Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment