Sunday, November 5, 2017

Was It The Right Decision?





After watching all the activity in the main field from the driveway last week, I decided to sit in the main field stand this week.

I had four does out early in the field and eventually saw four more in the driveway field.  I saw one coyote for a few seconds.  I never saw the whole pack like last week.
Eventually, I heard grunts and wheezes in the trees close to dark so I answered with a grunt.  Out came a buck who's body looked mature in the fading light.  Head on, the rack only looked a little wider than the ears and I didn't see any tall tines.  So I elected to try to video him versus shooting him.  He stood broadside at 25 yards for some time.  The video is virtually useless.  I had a magnifier on and it makes it look darker than it was.  Anyway, when he turned and left he looked much wider than my initial assessment.  Here's the video - it's not much.  Dark Video Of Buck That Responded To Grunts

 Earlier in the day, I spotted this shed antler right in front of a camera.  I wasn't sure if it was from this season or last.  It certainly hasn't been laying there - something would have had to move it.
 He was a nice buck.  The antler had a few mouse nibbles and the base didn't look like a fresh shed.  I think it was from last year.
But I checked the camera and this guy shows up right where it was dropped.  I couldn't make it match.  I now wonder if this was the buck that responded to the grunts.  I may regret not taking that shot. The time and date stamp is off on this camera (again).
 Proof that I did reset it.  We'll see if it defaults to January 2015 again.
 I cleaned out stands and found this in the pond stand.  It doesn't look like bird poop but what else would be up there?  I found some "hawk pellets" on the stairs.  Could it be from a predator bird?  I can't imagine a mammal getting up there and getting in thru the windows.
So here's another "poop of the week".  This one appears to be a buck bomb under the apple trees.
 We planted this ornamental pear years ago and it was in its glory this weekend.
 Not sure what this bug was.  It was over 1" long and sitting on the picnic table on the porch.
 It looks mean but wasn't too aggressive.  Incidentally, something bit or stung me while I was in the main field stand.  I've got a pretty good welt on the back of my neck.
 Touring with my friend Mark last week.
 He was visiting from Spain.
This is what you like to see.  Bucks in daylight.
 It's now time when you see a doe in this posture, you expect/hope for a buck on her trail.  The rut is heating up.
 The young/stupid ones are often out in daylight.
 It's the mature ones that you hope to see.
 Some bucks only seem to show up at night.



 Is it my imagination or are the turkey flocks getting smaller?  Damn those coyotes.
 Girl parade.
 Once again, hundreds of photos of coyotes.  This particular one gave me a five second pose at 100 yards,  I wasn't ready.
There are more blonds and redheads this year.

It won't be long until gun season.

No comments:

Post a Comment