Monday, March 12, 2018

Visits, Bobcats, and Rifles

 Last week Aunt Karen was in town.  Even though it was relatively mild, I think that it was cold to this Florida girl.
 It's been quite a while since her last visit to the farm.
I got the dormant oil sprayed on the fruit trees.
And I did some frost over-seeding on the clover patches.
 I'm not sure if you can see the difference between the old pasture and the prairie grass planting.  The fescue/broomsedge in the foreground is the old pasture.
Here you can see pasture on the left and prairie on the right.
 The rodent wars continue.  Outside traps tripped but empty.  I reset them.
 This Browning Xbolt in 300 win mag is the latest addition to fleet.  My friend Jim helped me get it on paper at his place on Sunday. I got to shoot it a little more today.  I got this weapon for a fall elk hunt in Montana.
 First 3 shot group with Barnes Vor-Tx 180 grain ammo.
This is my old faithful - an Abolt in 30-06.
It has the "Boss" system to tune the gun to various loads.
I haven't touched it in about a year and it shot this 3 shot group with Hornady Superformance 180's
Also tried that load in the Xbolt.
 It seems to like them.
 Also tried some 150 grain Hornady Lite.
 5 shot group.
And another 5 shot group with the Barnes.
 I think that I'll be able to work with these but will continue experimenting.
 The bobcat is still around.
 On the prowl.
Covering lots of territory.

And even coming out in daylight.

Sharing territory with foxes.

And coyotes.
I hope they are all eating skunks.
 Possums too.
 A few bucks are still carrying their antlers in March.
 One with, one without.

And one that lost 1/2.
 For some reason, the deer were very curious about the cameras this week.


 And that's just a few of them.  There were many more.
 Dropped antlers.




 Late forkhorn.
 Dodging all the predators.

And many domestics too.

No comments:

Post a Comment