Monday, May 21, 2018

Strike Three on Turkey Season

 The season closed on Sunday so I got a couple more hours of hunting in this weekend.  The closest encounter I had was while I was checking the card on one of the trailcams.  Somebody let out a loud gobble that seemed to be very close - I jumped when I heard it.  I set up and tried to call him in - no luck.
 This is another example of my prowess.  The time stamp says 5:17 but I believe that this camera never "sprung ahead".
 Strutting away on the trail.
 And here I am passing by 20 minutes later.  I had been set up calling out on that field edge.
 They pretty much showed up on camera everywhere.



Here's a hen dusting in the plowed field.
Gang of three.

 Oh well.  Maybe next year.
 The newest toy was delivered this week.  Of course, when I had a chance to use it, the skies opened up.
 Bad Boy zero turn - 48".
Not sure if you can see the amount of water coming off the roof.
 When it stopped, the plowed field steamed.
 There were some very interesting skies and big booms.
In just a couple weeks time, the woods have greened.
I believe that these are blackberry brambles.

 One of the clover fields looks great.  I'm fighting weeds in a couple of the others.
Brad, the service forester, was out to survey for OTFL.  I asked him about the invasive, autumn olive, and he went ahead and flagged one for me.  It just confirmed what I thought.
 I had multiple images of deer chewing on this tree.  It made me curious about what they were finding so attractive.  Most of this treeline is black locust.
Here's a daylight shot.  There are redbuds mixed in with the locust - I have heard that the deer like the redbud seedpods - maybe that's it?
 The bucks are starting to put antler back on.


The grass had obscured the stump with the minerals.






Check out the ticks behind the ear.
Maybe the friend is helping out.
Grass even taller.
 What is he doing with his mouth?
 Coyotes.


Now the long wait until deer season.  Will be planting plots soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment