Saturday, June 9, 2018

Planting Day

This is last weekend as I was about to clip a tree with the disk while turning around at the field edge. Both tractors running again.  Fuel leak was a stripped gas cap (plastic). Van got the John Deere tuned up by cleaning and fiddling with the carb.
 We finally got some weather and the fertilizer guy finally got caught up enough to finally get to my place. He hit both the plowed fields and top-dressed the clover plots.
So I got out Thursday evening and Friday to do some planting.  It appears that we got some rain on Friday night.
 I got 3 food plots planted in summer annuals.  The Biologic Bio-Mass is a legume mix - cowpeas, lab lab, and soybeans.  I did put some sunflowers in this year - I just bought bird seed - we'll see if they germinate.
 I also worked on the pumpkin patch.  I got 1/2 the patch planted.  At least I got all the long growing season seeds in the ground.  The risk with late planting of the remainder is whether the rain will just stop.
 Enjoyed a little deer steak for dinner.
The trailcam caught me weeding this clover plot by selective bush-hogging.
 Weed control on this one by just mowing the whole thing.
Dragging plots with the chain.
More minerals.
Another random death discovered on the barn floor. Last week a frog, this week a hummingbird.
This photo interesting for two reasons.  Check the ticks on her ears. Also, this is where they've been munching on a specific tree.  I thought it was redbud.  There are a lot of black locust in that treeline. I don't think that it was either.
I think that it was this tree - what is it? persimmon?  Too early for fruit - just munching the leaves.  (See comments - Steve thinks it's an ash)
 Some antlers developing.


Someone should tell him that the food plot is empty.

 Skinny looking 'yote.
First free-ranging dog that I've seen in awhile.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Tom. The tree has compound leaves and looks like opposite branching, so it's probably some type of Ash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - always appreciate the ID help.

      Delete