Sunday, April 28, 2019

Wet Spring Day, Shooting, Turkey Hunt


 There had been a lot of rain but I was hopeful that I could get some stuff done this weekend.  Spring happened in the time that I was gone, and the redbuds were past peak already.
 Somethings don't change - a mouse removed from the cabin.
 I suited up with tick chaps and headed out to check the cameras on foot.
The weather was decent but everything was saturated.
 The pond was chocolate with mud.  But things were definitely greener than the last time I was here.
 I had hoped to turn soil in a couple of plots - not a chance.  And it rained more overnight.
Definitely green now.
Some of the clover plots have weed challenges.
There were all sorts of things blooming - most of which I can't identify.


Pretty sure these are violets.

I kept my eyes open for morels - no luck.
The main field is the best looking plot.
These are an invasive - autumn olive.  I took the photo to remind myself to poison them.  I forgot.



The orchard plot clover was thick last year.  It was a mix of annual and perennial clover from the Wild Turkey Federation.  I guess that I can tell where the annual clovers were.
Apple tree.  Most of the fruit trees were done flowering already.
The start of fruit.
There are a few cherries on our last cherry tree.
Redbuds past prime - recent rains didn't help.

 Redbuds on the ground.
The dogwoods are kind of peaking now.


Checking all the camera cards.

The prairie plot is still looking pretty dormant.
Ponds are all overflowing.
 One of the clover plots that I might plow under.
 The stump where I put out minerals.  Deer prints in the mud.
It rained over Saturday night and I tried to turkey hunt Sunday morning.  Not much happening.
 Too wet to do much else so I took the opportunity to do some shooting.
 Set up on the 100 yard bench.
 I started with these 40 grain loads for the 223.  I've had them for awhile but never really shot them.  If zeroed for 200 yards, only 0.9" high at 100.
 I started out high left.  Adjusted and was a little high right.  Made a last tweak and shot a 6 shot group.  One high left flyer and 5 shots touching or thru the same hole.  Good enough.
Next I went to Eric's 308.  It was set up for elk but we're going deer/antelope this year.  I tried this 165 grain load.  Not sure if it is the final answer.  I also have a Barnes 150 grain load to try.
Started out high, went low, and ended up with a decent group.
Next I tried this 143 grain load in my new 6.5 creedmoor.  Should be about right for deer/antelope.
First group a little low.  I'd like to be 1.9" high to be zero at 200 yards.  Both groups under an inch.    Afterwards, I went up to 200 yards and plinked on plate from sticks, standing. Liking it.
I also decided to pattern my turkey load at 40 yards.  It was lower than I expected.  Glad that I did that.
So I ran all the machines that have been idle all winter.  I took the battery maintainers off the atvs etc.  Had a little trouble with a couple of machines but got them all to run.
It rained a bunch over night and was cloudy/windy in the morning.  I hunted from sunrise to noon and only heard one gobble.
Trailcams in a separate post.

No comments:

Post a Comment