Sunday, September 15, 2019

Beautiful Weekend To Be Back

 We've be gone for 3 weeks and it has been very dry of late.  I was surprised to find almost 1" in the rain gauge when we arrived.  Based on a review of the trailcams, I think this is what's left from a rain that happened August 27.
 The pumpkin patch has some pumpkins in between rows of weeds.
 It's a disappointing year.  I was late planting due to rain and other commitments.  I only got about 2/3 of the field planted.  And many of the rows/varieties didn't survive.
 But there's some good stuff in there - just not all the gourds, squash and special pumpkin varieties that I planted.
 I didn't wade into the real weedy parts - there may be some more things in there somewhere.
 But I did start harvesting a few things that were looking ready.  It's hard to tell since it is so dry.
 This week's harvest - got enough for decorations at the lady's golf closing luncheon.
With three weeks on the trailcams, they were loaded.  The two cameras under the apple trees each had 3000 images.
 These apple trees are really popular with a wide variety of local wildlife.
Since I have so many images to sort thru, I'm just going to include a few interesting ones in this post.
 They don't always wait for the apples to fall.  When I get time to sort the images, I'll do another post with some of the highlights.
The other camera flashing.
 The coyotes seem to be back in force and are active.

 Not sure what sent this doe airborne.
Maybe the same thing as this buck.  Interesting series of photos.
 A second buck also fleeing at the same time.
Now we know from what.
17 minutes later and the same two bucks are back to feed.  Incidentally, this is the clover field that I planted that was overtaken by weeds - I mowed it and it is doing much better.
 Junior.  Nice buck but I don't think he's as big as last year.  Also missing some stickers but has some globs or masses instead.
 Early September is when the velvet comes off the antlers.
It usually happens within 24 hours.
Antler velvet is pretty amazing - the whole annual cycle of antlers is crazy.
Just a nice photo that got mixed in.
This guy losing his velvet.
There are things blooming all over.
This is the prairie patch.
You can get a sense of the grass in this shot.
Old fescue pasture weeds.
 Some monarchs still around.
 I think this is a fritillary but it doesn't exactly match any in my new butterfly book (thanks Lucy and Charlie).
This one appears to be a question mark (that's it's name).
 And this is a red spotted purple (I believe).  A few short videos at the end.
 The apple and pear trees are still producing lots of fruit.
 A deer trail thru the weeds leading to the clover and apple trees.
 The orchard clover plot - looking pretty good after mowing.
Brassica by the main stand - not bad.  Had a mix of several types (rape, radish, turnip, beets)
 They like this one variety already.  Brassica is supposed to become more palatable after the first frost.
 Another strip if brassica in the main clover field - more weeds here.
Down by the pond stand - a mix with some oats too.

Clover and chicory in main field - looking good after mowing.
 Driveway field has some grass/weed challenges.
New clover planting in the barn field - looking better after mowing.  Still needs work.
I learn a lot from other blogs.  One that is written by a guy who's place is nearby is this one Bluejay Barrens I always see queen anne's lace and to me it's just another weed.  I have a lot of it.  Now I know that it is an invasive and is wild carrot.
 Does this pumpkin look like a bum?
What a sunset and then a full moon.
I haven't quite gotten used to the new pond aerator - it makes more noise so these moments aren't as silent as they used to be,
I hooked but did not land a bass.  Dagnabit.
 Our friend Dan lives in Jackson WY.  Success on a DIY antelope hunt this weekend.
 Heart shot at 347 yards with a 30-06.  Very impressive.
 I tried to repair a couple of washed out culverts on atv trails.
I suspect that this one just has too small a pipe.  It's a repeat offender.
 This one has been ok for years.  Inlet got plugged with branches etc, then it went over the top.
I dug it out and recovered it.  We'll see.













Some news items and a few videos:

Fatal Attack by Black Bear

Boy Recovering From Mountain Lion Attack

Wildlife Photographer of the Year Nominations

Hunter Biten by Wounded Bear

TX Hounds Against Rhino Poachers




No comments:

Post a Comment