Sunday, February 2, 2020

Hikes and a Harrier

 I don't do much supplemental feeding but I tend to give them a shot of cracked corn in the middle of winter.
 It hasn't been that cold but the woods are pretty barren.  I spread 100 pounds of cracked corn in 4 different areas.
There is some evidence that feeders may help to spread disease as it concentrates animals and facilitates exchange of saliva etc.  So I try to spread it out a bit.  And I don't do much of it.
Fooling with newly downloaded OnX Hunt app.
 This is a trace of my Sunday morning walk.   3.25 miles wearing my daypack full of ballast.  I put the topo on there to show the up and down,  The X's are pins on the property lines.
 I'm always amazed by the large trees that just blow over and upend.  I think it is due to shallow topsoil.
One of the creek bottoms that the property line crosses.
Poop of the week - lots of doe activity out there.
 16 hours prior I had put a stripe of cracked corn down at this spot. Gone.
I planted these pines as 12" seedlings about 15 years ago.  Lots of deer trails lead into and out of these pines.
 I saw the pond stand door blowing in the wind so I went up to close it.
Since I was there, took a look out each side.
Not much greenery out there now.
I watched a harrier hawk work the main field.  I saw him posed on the ground for quite a while - enjoying a meal.  I made an attempt to catch videos of him hunting - not great but you get the idea.

Harrier Hunt 1

Harrier Hunt 2
 I found this stuff out in the field - mouse fur?  Maybe the leftovers from one of his meals.
 I think that I've noticed this tree before on one of my walks.  The gnarly stuff is supposed to be caused by a virus.
Some of the action over night at the corn piles.

 Only been on the ground a couple hours when this crowd found it.



Sharing with a possum
 Only evidence of antler shedding that I've seen.
Bobcat!



 Coyotes

 Coyote down on the trail


Bobcat
Foxes

 Foggy



Neighbors dog has a gray muzzle now.

No comments:

Post a Comment