Sunday, February 23, 2020

No Luck On Sheds, Some One Sided Bucks

Trailcams picked up my walk a couple weeks ago in our only real snow of this winter (so far).
 I had a couple of big walks this weekend too.
 On Saturday night, I happened to be out and about in the Ranger as the sun was going down so I just parked it by this cedar and went up to the main field stand.  I wasn't armed - just checking things out.
 Three does came by and weren't happy to find the Ranger parked there.
It was a nice sunset - quite civilized weather for February.
I was out by myself this weekend so I just grilled up an elk steak.  Not too shabby.
 On the Sunday morning walk, I went cross country looking for shed antlers.  Thru creek bottoms.
 Following deer trails along benches in the woods.
 I covered about 2.5 miles over hill and dale while wearing my daypack for ballast.
 I also checked the fields, under the pine trees, and even some of the heaviest brier patches.  Not one antler.
On camera, there are some one-sided bucks running around.

 It is time for them to drop,
But many of them were still wearing both antlers.


Maybe next week I'll find one or two.  I did a few chores - some mowing and frost seeding.




 There is a hint of green-up in a few clover plots.  Otherwise, food is scarce.
 Wonder what spooked her?
 The coyotes are on the prowl.






 It's nice to see some turkeys - been awhile.
 Even a gobbler.
 And the foxes continue to snoop around.


Plus one bobcat sighting.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same thought... I took Nate to the state park by our house and we walked deer trails for 2 hours and found nothing.

    Archery ended Feb 10 in the park, but I found a large undisturbed pile and trails of cracked corn. Doesn't suggest there are many deer left in the area. Might try again next weekend.

    ReplyDelete