Sunday, June 7, 2020

Rifle Follies, Pumpkin Progress, Etc

I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with the formatting of the new Blogger app. Bear with me.

We got 1/2" of rain this week and I upgraded my 25 year old Browning Abolt 30-06 to a new Xbolt Pro. Here I am bore sighting in the barn after mounting the scope.  I later learned that I had it rotated 90 degrees - duh.
So, before learning of my error I went to the range, got it on paper, walked it in (left target), and then shot a group (right target).  And this is when it dawned on me that L and R wasn't Lower and Raise.  It was Left and Right.
So I rotated the scope and started over.  The brown gun is my 6.5 Creedmoor and the black one is my new 30-06.  I have a perfectly fine 300 Win Mag but I'm just not real comfortable with that 26" barrel. Probably a mental block.
So here's the 2nd try.  Right target is walking it in and left target is a group.  Barrel was hot and I was rushing but it's a reasonable start.
Meanwhile in the pumpkin patch, we had a great weekend and I got a bunch more planted.  I may have made a strategic error - time will tell.  In the foreground of this photo is sunflowers that I planted inside the tape.  I'm not sure how wise it was to plant attractive deer food in the tape.  But I wanted some sunflowers where Joan can see them while she has breakfast.
Some of last week's plantings are up.
And there are a few survivors of my early start seeds after the attack of the cucumber beetles.  I'm dusting with Sevin now.
I found a shed antler in the pumpkin patch.  Wow.
The soybeans are up and so are a ton of weeds.  I'm not sure how to decide when it is time to hit the field with Roundup.  They are Roundup ready soybeans so they should survive while the weeds don't.  Maybe next week.
Seems like a decent germination rate.
I also planted sunflowers in a strip in the main field.
Discovered this plugged up culvert down in the valley.
Yes, there is a pipe under there somewhere.
The wineberries aren't ready yet.  I think that we missed the few cherries on our only remaining sad cherry tree.
I found another one of these mud piles in an atv trail. I can't find a burrow nearby.  Could it be an ant hill?

Minerals for the deer.  It's prime antler growing season now.

There was a lunar eclipse and a strawberry moon - I think on Friday. Below is a pretty red moon on Saturday - not sure if it actually qualifies as a strawberry moon.  Photo doesn't quite do it justice. 

I can't get the formatting to work for the rest of the post.  There are fawns, a doe ready to pop, coyotes (one with something in mouth), the bobcat made a cameo appearance, turkeys (including in strut), a pileated woodpecker, and bucks/birds/cats.
F





And, for the finale, a flat tire.

No comments:

Post a Comment