Sunday, August 16, 2020

Pumpkin Patch Explosion, Hunt Prep Progressing

 

Another week with almost an inch of rain.  Normally we'd be burning up and desperate for water in mid August.  Not this year.
The pumpkin patch is going wild with the plentiful water and mild temperatures.  There is some evidence that somebody has been in the patch nibbling of buds.
The pumpkins are reaching out in all directions.
And there is no evidence of the rows that I had planted - it's solid pumpkins and weeds.
Here's a 360 degree video from standing in the middle of the patch.  Pumpkin Patch 360
There are already some pumpkins looking done.
But most of them are still developing.

Quite a variety of stages depending on different types and my planting was over 3 different weekends.
There are also a variety of squash and gourds.
Big and small white pumpkins this year.  Delicata squash.

Gourds of various types.
There are some Dills Atlantic and Prizewinner giant pumpkins.  None too giant yet.
This weeks zucchini harvest.  I am sure that there are more zucchini plants that I just haven't found in that jungle.
For the Wyoming elk hunt (horseback), I have to fit everything for 8 days of hunting into two duffels that can't weigh more than 20 pounds each.  This is my first attempt.  These two bags meet the specs but so far don't contain my handgun, my underwear, my toiletries, or my whiskey flask.
Here's a look at the stuff I was sorting thru.  The rifle and the sleeping bag are separate - they don't have to fit in these duffels.  But everything else does - pack, water bottle, rangefinder, sticks, ammo, emergency kit, plus clothes and outerwear.  Going to be some tough decisions.
Gaiters always show up on the outfitter's list.  I've owned them for years but never wear them.  I tried them out this weekend while carrying my pack full of ballast.
I had a pretty good work out but this is at 800 feet of elevation versus the 8000+ feet where we will be hunting.
This Blogger app now makes me select the photos in reverse order so this fawn shot just sort of ended up here.
This pretty flower showed up in the prairie plot.  It is apparently a swamp rose mallow.
The strip of turnips that I planted last week - just now germinating.  The deer already checking it out though
Brassica in the soybean fields seems to be working out.
I didn't get the seed spread everywhere, but where I did, it's looking good.
The clover is amazing for August - normally burned out and dormant.
I did some spraying this week and last week - wearing a dust mask.
The grass in the driveway plot died nicely.
Tough to keep up with the bush-hogging when things are growing this fast,
First bobcat sighting in months.
Turkeys like the clover too.
Lots of coyotes.  I haven't seen many fox lately.  Used to have red and gray fox.

The bucks continue to frolic.
Even the goofy little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment