Sunday, February 28, 2021

Shed Antler Mania or Covid Isolation Neurosis?

Saturday was ok but on Sunday, I was considering building an ark.  I was out looking for antlers both days anyway.  You have to be a little daft to do that in a constant downpour.  Good test of the raingear.


Our newer puppy, Violet, came on the camera tour with me this week.  She hasn't had much off-leash practice.

Grooming this week so I was allowed to get her dirty.  She had a blast. Super Short Video of Violet

And she found this "poop of the week".

The deer are still working on the turnips and radishes.

On Saturday I found three shed antlers. The first two were near the pines.


A couple broken points but huge base.

Deep in the woods I found this one which is from the buck that I called Split.

He also has really nice bases.

Couldn't believe a blooming dandelion in February.

Every where I turned there were more rubs.  Here's a sampling.

I read recently about a fungus that is hosted on cedars and apple trees.  Not good for the apples.  So I'm removing some cedars near my orchard.  I got a couple out by the roots but also broke a couple of them off.  Lots more to do when not so wet.

Just an interesting fungus that I saw on my walk.

It rained all Saturday night and all day Sunday.  Pond overflowing.

I put the raingear on and headed out to keep looking for antlers.

The creeks were unreal.  Video of Culvert Running

I had to rescue a couple of my culverts that were blocked.

Creeks that are dry most of the year were raging.

New waterfalls.

I didn't find any more antlers for the couple hours that I walked around in the pouring rain.  Here's some of the activity at the sunflower seed pile that I put out by the barn.

And the crows also hit the sunflower seeds out by the pond.

The bucks, with or without antlers at this point, are still quite frisky.



And the ones that are still holding onto their antlers are willing to pose.






Deer at the sunflower seed pile by the barn.

And out in the emerging clover field.
How many can you count here?

The usual suspects - coyote...

Kitty cat?

Tom turkeys.


Fox.

And mystery beast,

Joan ventured out for a tour last week in the snow.


All of the snow is gone this week due to the rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment