Sunday, June 5, 2022

Fawns, Pumpkin Planting, Plot Progress

Due to some travel and grandkid visits, it's been a couple weeks since I've been to the farm.  There was over 4" of rain in the gauge but the weather was beautiful this weekend.  All of my machines are repaired and working properly (thanks Van).

The last time I was out, I sprayed some of the clover fields so I was interested to see how they looked.

The story was a bit mixed.  The orchard field looked pretty sparse.  It's apparent there were a lot more weeds than clover in that field.
The barn clover was great and the weeds - including the thistle - seem well suppressed.
The pond clover was looking pretty good too.
Of the fields that I had planted, the buckwheat seems to have come up well but there are a lot of weeds in there too.
The roundup ready soybeans in the driveway field don't look great.  I'm going to give them another week or two before I give them a dose of roundup.
The soybeans are up in there and I think I'll let the weeds hide them for a while to hopefully get them a decent start before the browse wipes them out.
The powerplant in the main field looks pretty weedy - we'll see if it develops any better.
There are a bunch of sunflowers up in the long main field but also a bunch of weeds.  Time will tell who wins that race.
I have a strip of sunflowers in the pumpkin patch.  There are some up but too soon to tell how dense.
I got 1/2 of the patch planted this week with zucchini, melons and the big pumpkins.  Hopefully I can get the other half in the next week or two with winter squash, gourds and specialty pumpkins.
The wineberry is developing nicely down in the woods.
I'm continuing with the minerals and it is prime time for both antler growth and fawns.
I'm not sure if these photos are all the same fawn.



I'm sure there are more on the way.  Starting to see some antler.






Lots of predators who would like to find a newborn fawn.




The turkeys survived their spring hunting season - I wasn't much of a threat.








And a few novelties.


No comments:

Post a Comment