Sunday, March 12, 2023

Spring Snow, Gobblers and Shooting the 375

It looked a little less like spring after a dusting of snow this weekend.  But I got some nice walks in, did some chores and shot the 375H&H.  No mice this week - are we winning the war?

Daisy and I headed out for the camera tour.
She loves to cover some ground but never wanders too far,
But she's pretty much constant motion.

At some point, I traded her in for Violet.  I don't yet trust the two of them off leash together.
We found lots of stuff down on the trails but I didn't really start into clearing it yet.
Poop of the week.  Pretty sure this is coyote.
The ideal way to handle the prairie plot is to burn it every now and then.  You're supposed to get permits and it's a bit risky for me.  So I take the alternative approach to bush-hog 1/3 of it every year.  That seems to be enough to keep the trees and bushes from taking over.  Best to do it when nobody is nesting in there.
I remembered that another hunter in elk camp gave me some chestnuts.  They've been living in potting soil in my beer fridge since October.  I decided to just go stick them in the ground.
I've done things like this before and then forgot about it.  I believe these little trees are some kind of "gobbler oaks" that I got from NWTF years ago.  When I look them up with the Seek app now, it calls them shingle oaks.
Sunday morning had the dusting of snow and a red bellied woodpecker at the feeder.
It didn't last long before being run off by this squirrel. 
The dogs and I played fetch and they were like sponges soaking up the water from the snow.  Joan was not pleased when I sent them back inside.
I got out the 375 and took a few shots at 80 yards off sticks.
I was ringing steel and sending the plate flying to wrap around the hangar wood.
I was even hitting this little elk target (in the butt).
Eventually, the whole target stand just collapsed - the 375 was too much for it.
Found this carcass on the walk.  I covered a lot of ground but didn't find any antlers.

This shot on trailcam made it look like spring.

Gobblers strutting in early March.
I had the three amigo gobblers for a couple of years.  Now there's at least four.

Just curious.
Does seem to be fine.

The bird feeders brought in a crowd.
And even caused some conflict.
March 11 and some bucks are still in antler.


The usual predator suspects.




No comments:

Post a Comment