Over 20 years ago I started working on removing tree of heaven from my property. It's an Asian invasive and also a host to the spotted lantern fly (another invasive). I thought that I had it pretty well under control for at least the last decade but I get surprises.
Recently a neighbor did some timbering and this cropped up in the disturbed area right on my border.
I asked them if they minded if I controlled this outbreak. This stuff crops up in any disturbance. It also hides in plain site. I had one that I missed for years right along my driveway hiding among black walnuts. Anyway, they graciously agreed and I sprayed them this weekend.Then I was working in another area of my property and I saw some young seedlings popping up. I went over and pulled them by the roots and then looked up. I found the source of the seedlings and treated it too. It's a never ending battle.
I hit these sericea lespedeza last week with triclopyr. They are definitely affected.
Below is the area that I treated with MSM. There is not an obvious affect in less than a week. It may not be a fair comparison as I followed the label on the MSM but treated the triclopyr with the concentrated mix that I use for tree work.
I planted two fall food plots by just broadcasting seed into plots that I had hit with roundup. I was worried about the one that I planted in oats as it is a larger seed that I have always used in cultivated plots and covered the seed to some degree. This time, I just flung them out into this dead plot and hoped they found some bare soil. I am pleasantly surprised with the amount of germination that I got. You might have to zoom to see it.
The other plot I did in brassica and I was less worried about it. It's a tiny seed and I had planted it before by just laying it on the surface. I'm getting some germination with it but it isn't very dense. I think the thatch mat is thicker in this plot. Hopefully it will come in ok. A little rain would help.
Meanwhile my shooting house has gone native.
I did chemical warfare in there too.
It is unbelievable how many mylar balloons that I recover from my woods.
This cherry tree came down over a trail a few weeks ago and I decided to skid out a few logs with the winch on my Ranger. Note to self, use a chain choker. I frayed the winch rope a bit.
This is an interesting excavation that I found in the woods. Wonder who did it and why.
This might be a clue - somebody wanted a bee snack. Skunk, coon or possum?
I had a nice meal of elk backstraps. I still have some meat from last season.
As I was sitting on the porch that evening, this is what walked by.
I hit these sericea lespedeza last week with triclopyr. They are definitely affected.
Below is the area that I treated with MSM. There is not an obvious affect in less than a week. It may not be a fair comparison as I followed the label on the MSM but treated the triclopyr with the concentrated mix that I use for tree work.
I planted two fall food plots by just broadcasting seed into plots that I had hit with roundup. I was worried about the one that I planted in oats as it is a larger seed that I have always used in cultivated plots and covered the seed to some degree. This time, I just flung them out into this dead plot and hoped they found some bare soil. I am pleasantly surprised with the amount of germination that I got. You might have to zoom to see it.
The other plot I did in brassica and I was less worried about it. It's a tiny seed and I had planted it before by just laying it on the surface. I'm getting some germination with it but it isn't very dense. I think the thatch mat is thicker in this plot. Hopefully it will come in ok. A little rain would help.
Meanwhile my shooting house has gone native.
I did chemical warfare in there too.
It is unbelievable how many mylar balloons that I recover from my woods.
This cherry tree came down over a trail a few weeks ago and I decided to skid out a few logs with the winch on my Ranger. Note to self, use a chain choker. I frayed the winch rope a bit.
This is an interesting excavation that I found in the woods. Wonder who did it and why.
This might be a clue - somebody wanted a bee snack. Skunk, coon or possum?
I had a nice meal of elk backstraps. I still have some meat from last season.
As I was sitting on the porch that evening, this is what walked by.
My new Birdbuddy feeder for hummingbirds has been incredibly active. I'm getting so many notifications on recent visits. Here's a few highlights - it's addicting to watch them.
There is some evidence of effectiveness from clethodim spraying recently.
The rain finally stopped. It's been a couple of weeks since we had a drop of it. The pond level is going down.
I noticed this wasp nest on the gazebo. It must have been last year's. Not active now.
My friend Creigh's dog Marty is going thru a tough time. He has encephalitis and we're all hoping for a complete recovery.
I'm trying a different brand of boots - new one to me. It recommends washing them with soap and water before applying sealer. I didn't get their branded sealer but will use the mink oil that I have.
I was noticing the persimmons and wondered whether the deer really use them. They seem to hang on the trees thru the whole season.
I guess this kind of answers that question.
Last weeks treatments. I really don't like all the chemicals but seem to be using a lot of them lately.
Touring with Gavin.
Jeff is going to do some of the ground work that I've been trying to get done for awhile. My last contractor just ghosted me.
A few more photos from Eric's visit.
It looks like the deer are working on winter coats already.
They also seem to be enjoying the clover.
Predators always on the hunt.
Turkeys doing turkey things.
This is a little spot I was hoping to make into a bedding area. I left lots of escape routes.
The rain finally stopped. It's been a couple of weeks since we had a drop of it. The pond level is going down.
I noticed this wasp nest on the gazebo. It must have been last year's. Not active now.
My friend Creigh's dog Marty is going thru a tough time. He has encephalitis and we're all hoping for a complete recovery.
I'm trying a different brand of boots - new one to me. It recommends washing them with soap and water before applying sealer. I didn't get their branded sealer but will use the mink oil that I have.
I was noticing the persimmons and wondered whether the deer really use them. They seem to hang on the trees thru the whole season.
I guess this kind of answers that question.
Last weeks treatments. I really don't like all the chemicals but seem to be using a lot of them lately.
Touring with Gavin.
Jeff is going to do some of the ground work that I've been trying to get done for awhile. My last contractor just ghosted me.
A few more photos from Eric's visit.
It looks like the deer are working on winter coats already.
They also seem to be enjoying the clover.
Predators always on the hunt.
Turkeys doing turkey things.
This is a little spot I was hoping to make into a bedding area. I left lots of escape routes.
No comments:
Post a Comment