Since meeting with Jason Jones, I've been acutely aware of an invasive weed called sericea lespedeza. Prior, I had been living in blissful ignorance. Now that I am aware, I'm seeing it all over the place. This is a pretty good short video about it. Sericea Lespedeza
It sounds like it's very invasive and difficult to control. And I have become aware of it right as it is about to flower and go to seed. So I've been getting educated about it and trying to decide what to do about it.
This is the stand of it that caught Jason's eye as we were touring.
It's also mixed in in this area of the field that I routinely brush-hog to try to control the black locust encroachment.I went ahead and mowed the mixed area.
And I found some other stands that I also mowed.
I've been reading about chemical control. At this time of year (flowering), it is recommended to use MSM. That's a new herbicide to me and it sounds a little scary (potential ground water contamination and non-target kill). I bought some - it comes as a dry power. I followed the label and it took 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water. I decided to do a trial with one gallon on this thick stand of it.
The other herbicide mentioned is triclopyr. It is used earlier in the season while actively growing. Since I had some of that on hand for my tree work, I went ahead and sprayed a few distinct stands of it.
Most articles I read on it recommend using a product called PastureGard. It is a mix of triclopyr and fluroxypyr. I may try that in next year growing season. I'm not loving all these chemicals.
I did mow several areas which should reduce the flowering. I'm not sure if there is enough time for it to come back and go to seed or not. I'll watch it and decide whether a treatment again this year is necessary. This is a little bit of an unusual invasive because burning doesn't do much to control it. It's seeds like the fire. Anyway, I currently have 3 trials to evaluate - MSM, triclopyr, and mowing.
In addition to that work, I sprayed a couple food plots for broadleaf weeds. More chemicals.
My worm ranch has been living in my beer fridge and it seems to be doing ok.
I decide to use a worm or two and guess what? They work.
My helpers have been avoiding mowing around the A/C unit due to wasp activity. I finally went out to look and found this.
I decided to check it at sunrise and see if I dared attack it (more chemicals).
When I went to look at it, it was very active already and I chickened out. Wait for frost?
In addition to that work, I sprayed a couple food plots for broadleaf weeds. More chemicals.
My worm ranch has been living in my beer fridge and it seems to be doing ok.
I decide to use a worm or two and guess what? They work.
My helpers have been avoiding mowing around the A/C unit due to wasp activity. I finally went out to look and found this.
I decided to check it at sunrise and see if I dared attack it (more chemicals).
When I went to look at it, it was very active already and I chickened out. Wait for frost?
No comments:
Post a Comment