Sunday, August 29, 2010

Garden, Food Plots and General Stuff

This is Van the handy man.  I couldn't get by without the help from Van and his family (Theresa, Mike, Dave, Steve).  They keep an eye on the place and help me with chores and improvements.  Van and I met today to discuss putting an addition on the cabin in order to solve a pipe freezing problem and to get us a bigger dining area.  It would be a "lean-to" in the area behind Van.












This is Steve mowing in the vicinity of the orchard.












I'm still getting zuchinni and corn from the first planting.  The second planting of corn looks great.  It's much taller than the first planting and it has started to tassle.  I harvested a couple of small watermelons,
















The cantalopes died and rotted.  I should have picked them last week.  The weather has been hot and dry - no rain predicted for the next 10 days.















These are the rain gauge readings for the whole season.  Nothing in it this week.

















The hot dry weather has caused many of the pumpkins to turn orange (too soon).  And something has been in the field gnawing on a few of them (racoons?).
















We did get a few MacIntosh apples from some of the trees that I planted a few years ago.  Hopefully they'll produce better than this in the future.
















The brassica/turnips are up in most of the plots that I planted.  A little rain sure would be nice....

















I had deer steaks and farm corn for dinner - living off the land...

No comments:

Post a Comment