Sunday, March 20, 2011

Shed Antlers - Got the Backward Buck!

I covered alot of ground this weekend.  I walked deer trails all over the property - several miles for sure.  But I only found two antlers and they were both in sight of the barn.
The backward buck dropped his unique antler in the soybeans right beside the turnips and close to the apple trees.
You can get a good idea where it was from this picture.  This guy was taunting me all season and I guess he's keeping it up even after the season is over.
To give you some idea of the size of this thing, here it is with two other shed antlers that I picked up this year and also a teaspoon (for Joan's grapefruit - she was quite pleased to find these things on the breakfast table).
This is the other one that I picked up today.
This season's collection.
The most impressive thing about the backward buck was its brow tine.  Wider than two of my fingers and 5" tall.  The main beam was about 23" and shaped like a "U".  It had 5 typical points, the backward tine (4 1/2"), and 4 stickers.  At least one of the stickers was score-able.

I'll be looking for him again next year....

No comments:

Post a Comment