Sunday, September 18, 2011

Last Warm Up for Utah Elk Hunt

And it wasn't pretty.


This was exactly 200 yards, sitting, off sticks.  The first 3 shots surrounded the bullseye in the 9 ring.  That didn't seem too bad - maybe a 2" group. Then I shot a few fliers way off to the right - had to be flinching.  I finished what was left of the box and did somewhat better.  I think after about 3 shots I just get flinchy.  First one is the most important one.
So I moved back as far as I could to still see the target and it was 240 yards but I had to shoot standing off of a rest on the back of the Ranger.  I shot 5 shots and only one of them was any good.

I also shot the 223 today, couldn't believe how much stiffer the trigger is on it.  I need to work on that when I get time.  I was getting pretty good groups with it.

The weather in Morgan Utah looks to be highs in the 70's, lows in the 40's, and sunny every day.  Comfortable for the hunters but not really cold enough to keep the elk on their feet and moving.

Here's a link to get in the mood for elk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=794wEIbHlDc&vq=large

No comments:

Post a Comment