Sunday, November 13, 2011

Weekend of 11/12 & 13

Creigh and Pam joined us this weekend.  We all arrived Saturday morning, hunted the afternoon and evening, spent a few hours in a stand Sunday morning, and then I did chores the rest of the day.

The experts said that this weekend was supposed to be the peak of the chasing activity for the rut.  My suspician is that it's past peak and into "lock-down".  Creigh saw some chasing activity - a little 4 point chasing a doe - but that was about it.  I saw seven does work out into the fields on Saturday night but there were no bucks to be seen.  It was warmer than normal and the winds were blowing pretty strong - especially on Sunday.


I got the pumpkin patch plowed under for the end of the season.








As usual at this time of year, there are alot of rubs and many of the trees are permanently damaged.




My friend Irish took this fine 9 point on his new farm in Kentucky.


This healthy looking coyote showed up on camera right by the orchard.
Creigh and I set up some targets to see what it would be like shooting from the new pond stand.  It's so high that I wasn't sure how the pins work work out.  The wind was blowing so hard that at 35 yards, I was missing the target to the left.

I put some of the finishing touches on the new pond stand.  The carpet is down and there are shelves now for binoculars etc.
This shot is of me from the trailcam below the ridge stand.  This is the stand that Creigh hunted on Saturday afternoon.  He saw one 4 point buck chasing a doe but that was it.
This shot was two days earlier at noon from the same camera.  There's a nice 10 point buck walking behind those trees.

I'm not sure that these pictures do it justice, but we had thousands and thousands of some kind of bird swarming around over the farm.  It was like an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
On the "check the camera" tour with Creigh and Pam.
A nice 10 point - maybe the same one as above.

This kind of looks like the backward buck - do you think that he got his butt kicked and broke off a bunch of tines?


I'm always amazed that some camo shows up on IR camera as if it's white.  I always wonder what the deer see.


No comments:

Post a Comment