Sunday, January 15, 2012

Brrr...It's Cold!

Joan and I drove out Saturday morning and it was 20 degrees.  Overnight it was down into the teens.  And Sunday it was back up to the 20's but sunny and nice - no real wind.  We had a few snow flurries so everything was lightly dusted.

Upon arrival, I made the spin on an atv to check all the cameras.





Not much showed up on the cameras (except me).  I decided that it was so cold that I would wait until one hour before sunset before I headed to a stand.

I went to the ladder stand and sat until 6:00.
Here's a view from the stand - there wasn't anything moving.  Not even a squirrel.  Joan saw two does in the barn field while I was out in the woods.
On my way in. Joan had meatloaf waiting for me made from elk meat.
Sunday morning the thermometer said 18 degrees at sunrise. The fields were completely frozen.  I decided that nothing would be moving and I stayed in to cook breakfast.
It was a bright sunny morning but you know it was cold when there's ice on the pond.

I went out for a frolic with Sydney and Chloe.  They love to chase a ball.  Even Chloe is getting the hang of chasing and picking up the ball.  Neither one is any good at giving it back.
Sydney with a mouth full of frozen rubber ball. 
Chloe getting ready to bolt down the driveway.

Author's retraction:
In a previous post, I observed these streaks on pine trees by the driveway stand.  I attributed them to roosting turkeys.  When Bruce was out last week he said that this was tree sap - he knew because during his mis-spent youth, he ignited some of the sap streaks and it enabled him to meet the Fire Marshall.  Upon closer examination, Bruce is absolutely right - these streaks are gooey pine sap.  I'm not sure why they decided to run this year.
 Some closer views of pine sap (not turkey poop).
 After the dogs run, I loaded up the 223 and went for a walk looking for coyotes. First I went up in the hi-rise stand and used the electronic caller.  I tried that for about 45 minutes and then decided to go for a walk.  I walked down past the barn stand and over the hill to the atv trail.  I walked thru the woods over to the driveway stand.  I crossed the main field to the ladder stand.  Then I went back to the ladder stand and the 100 yard bench.
Along this walk, I passed the cameras again.



Here's the 223 and the electronic caller.  I was using the cottontail rabbit squeal.

Speaking of coyotes, I read an article in a magazine about coyotes attacking an adult deer.  It was all caught on a trailcam.  This is really unusual - they attack fawns frequently but rarely bother adults.  Anyway, Leo sent me this link to the article and photos.  It's a little guesome but is nature at work.



I took a few shots from the 100 yard bench to be sure that I was still zero'd in.  It was shooting fine.

On the walk I noticed these rubs right beside the hi-rise stand.  Some buck has sure claimed this territory.  This is where my Glendale Buck got beat up last week.


 
Here's a few trailcams from this week - nothing too exciting.  This is a doe wandering up to the driveway stand at about when I was sitting in the ladder stand.


This appears to be the mutant buck.  He has already shed his right antler - it was a typical 4 point.  His mutant 2 point is still intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment