Saturday, January 21, 2012

Home In Mason This Weekend

Joan has some stuff going on and the weather is kind of yucky so we're not heading to the farm.  We had some snow/sleet/ice overnight so it's probably just as well.  Anyway, I was just looking at a few interesting websites that I thought I would share.

Southern Ohio Forrestry Association  This is a group of local landowners out near the farm who meet and discuss how to manage their property.  They are supported by the State Forresters.  I have never made it to a meeting but I enjoy reading their newsletter and minutes.  They sometimes have some interesting nature tidbits and recipes.

Woodlands TV From the UK I learned about this website from the SOFA newsletter.  It has a collection of short videos with interesting things like how to skin and eat a squirrel or how to choose a chainsaw.

Arkive I'm not sure who sent me this link but it's got some really neat videos.  The one that caught my attention was the osprey feeding on bigger and bigger fish.

Randy Sanders This website is for another property owner in Pike County.  I've met Randy and we have some of his handy-work hanging on our wall at the farm.  He does some milling of timber.

Quality Deer Management Association The QDMA has a really good magazine and has been the champion for sustainable management of wild deer herds.  There's lots of good resources on deer, property management, etc.

Midwest Whitetail - Winke This is a blog by the outdoor writer Bill Winke.

TED Talks Deviating from the outdoor theme a little bit, this website has videos of interesting speakers on a wide range of topics (not always speakers that I agree with but interesting none the less).

RSA Animate This is another series of talks that I don't always agree with but find interesting and enjoyable to watch.

Dan Long Website My son Eric went to school with a set of twins who were born on the same day as him.  Creigh has been out hunting at the farm with me this year.  His brother Dan now lives in Jackson Hole WY and he is a rock climber/photographer.  I am not particularly comfortable at heights (understatement) and some of his photos make me break out in a sweat.

Anyway, how's that for an eclectic collection of websites on a Saturday morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment